After a nerve wracking start with our rail tickets being packed in the luggage van and our administrator having an accident in the drinks van, we assembled at St. George’s, York for the inaugural Mass. The next day we remembered the Jews massacred in York Castle, visited York Minster and walked the city walls. Three scorching days followed during which we stayed at Ampleforth College, crossed the north York Moors and re-crossed the Ouse Valley to. Richmond. During this time, several pilgrims were forced to retire temporarily from heat exhaustion, but once onto the moors, the weather cooled and a series of very enjoyable walks took us over the highest point yet walked by the pilgrimages to Blanchland. Here we celebrated Mass at the Abbey, now the parish church, which was the first such celebration since the Reformation. At Hexham, the Abbey welcomed us to Matins in the crypt and Vespers in the choir. We continued northwards over the Northumbrian hills, deep into the old Celtic heartlands. At Glanton, we were invited to an “open” communion service by the URC community among whose elders was Alan Beith, MP. The passing of the Cheviot, though much feared, proved uneventful if slightly wet and we came at last to Wooler. From here, the weather became wet and cold and we hurried on to the coast. The crossing to Holy Island was via the old pilgrim route which though safe was decidedly wet! That evening we celebrated Mass as an Easter Vigil, keeping Sunday with an Anglican communion service in the parish church. Then finally to Durham via St. Bede’s home at Jarrow. Although a challenging walk overall, the spirit of prayer and the sharing of each others’ worship made all our physical stresses worth while. Most of all, we have found that there is sufficient momentum within the pilgrimage to survive a sudden change of leadership. Thank you to all who planned, helped and walked,


As usual, pilgrims were well represented on the Diocesan Youthgather at the end of September, held this year at Crawley.

Dominic O’Hara and his South Downs Way Walkers gathered at Patcham recently for their reunion which included a trip to Dieppe and back (thank you, Captain White!). This year they raised £525 for the Lourdes Sick Fund. Look out for next year's SDWW in aid of the Diocesan priests in Peru. Look out also for “Stay Awake”, and Advent Festival for 15—30 year olds with Bishop Cormac at Crawley. Details form the Youth Office (Guildford 898001).


This is now Friday, 16th to Sunday 18th November 1984, cost from £3 without food to £7 for the whole weekend. Booking forms are enclosed with this mailing, please return your form by 31st October to Patrick Reeve. Bring your photographs, slides, and souvenirs for a grand reminiscence session. Lunch on Saturday will be at the Royal Oak, Poynings.


This is the name of next year’s walk which will be based on a series of Deanery walks around the Diocese, 20 years old in 1985. It will also be 10 years since the first walking pilgrimage. Volunteers for route planning, general assistance etc are urgently required as always. Please write to Antony or Alice M—L or see them at the reunion with any offers of help. No dates are available yet but it will probably be between 11th and 25th August, 1985.


Peter Dare has changed job and moved house to Tunbridge Wells - please send all pilgrim news, changes of address etc to me for the time being... Justine Schneider has gone to Lima in Peru for an indefinite period.. . Dawn Willson has been crossing to Trondheim where she discovered Olav Tryggvarson, King and Martyr... Martin Leyland has started studies at Durham University… We send our best wishes to Joan Bishop who had to cancel the Lindisfarne pilgrimage because of illness... Joan Doran has moved to Cheltenham, where her husband Peter has become a Deputy Headmaster... Brenda Dillon, Mike Simons and others had a really memorable visit to Oberammagau...Kevin Broder (Buckfast ‘80) has married the organist and was on honeymoon instead of at Lindisfarne... Father Bill is on holiday in Spain, again.


The mother of Karen Goldsmith, the Diocesan Youth Officer, died suddenly just after Youthgather in September. Please pray for her and for Karen who has only just finished convalescing from her operation.