Welcome to the website of the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton Ecumenical Walking Pilgrimage!
Each summer (since 1975) the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton organises an ecumenical walk to a place, shrine or area exploring a particular theme or aspect of our faith and Christian heritage. What we rediscover, year after year, is the amazing personal and community value of going on a pilgrimage as our medieval forebears did, where the journey, walking, laughing, sharing, praying, singing, etc. is as important as the destination. We stop at a pub for lunch and sleep on the floors of church, school or community halls. We try to walk on footpaths not roads.
Our pilgrimages are open to all, so long as you are able to walk about 15 miles per day and sleep on a floor.
Our Pilgrimage in 2018
In 2018 we are walking from Salisbury to Buckfast Abbey in Devon, celebrating 1000 years since the foundation of an Abbey at Buckfast.
See The Buckfast Millennium Pilgrimage for further details, poster and application form.
More to discover
We are currently migrating our website, the links below will take you into the older content. Please be patient!
- Pilgrimages – Brief details of each pilgrimage since 1975, and links to each year’s diary.
- Pilgrimage Maps – maps of the routes of our pilgrimages through the years.
- Reunions – diaries of some of our reunions.
- Other Celebrations – various parties involving pilgrims.
- Newsletters – a tri-annual newsletters can be found here.
- Pilgrimage Statistics – a bit of fun and analysis
- Off-Site Links – to related sites