Pat’s funeral Mass will be at St Joseph’s Redhill at 10am on Wednesday 15th December.
Pilgrims will be saddened to learn of the passing of one of our former pilgrim walkers from the Redhill area. Pat was an active pilgrim between 1991 and 1996, and until the stiles got too high for her.
Pat died on Thursday 25th November. Sarah, her daughter, writes: “I was hoping that you could let any of the pilgrims she walked with know. She truly loved going on the A&B Pilgrimages. We thought she was mad! It gave her such strength and focus after my dad died though. She was always so uplifted when she came home.
Her funeral mass will be in St Joseph’s Redhill, date TBA, hopefully before Christmas.”
If you knew Pat and would like to share memories or a photo, please reply to his posting with a comment. Like some of you I did not know Pat. In looking for something to share in these times, in the Middle Ages it was believed that if a pilgrim died whilst on pilgrimage, they would by-pass purgatory and go straight to heaven. It is a comforting thought to us all on life’s pilgrim journey …
and may Pat rest in eternal peace. Amen
We’ve tracked down a couple of photos of Pat from the 1992 St David’s Pilgrimage.
The web diary for the reunion day is here
Following the “pilgrimage of day walks” this year, we are celebrating with a one-day reunion in Caterham on Saturday 30th October 2021.
Please join us for the A&B Ecumenical Walking Pilgrimage Reunion Walk. We will start at the Church of the Sacred Heart, Essendene Road, Caterham CR3 5PA where there is a car park. Please gather at 9.30 am for a 10 am prompt start. We will follow a circular walk around the outside of Caterham including the London Loop, the Downlands Circular Walk and the North Downs Way. We will stop for a pub lunch between 12 and 1 pm at The Harrow Inn, 235 Stanstead Road Chaldon CR3 6AJ. We will return to the Church of the Sacred Heart for a Reunion Service at 5 pm. We will go for a meal afterwards at The New Caterham Arms, 83A Coulsdon Road, Caterham CR3 5NF at 6 pm
If you plan to come to the reunion, please e-mail organiser John Doyle on email@example.com and let him know:
- That you’re coming
- What you’d like to order for lunch at the Harrow from this menu
- Whether you intend to stay for the evening meal at The New Caterham Arms
The deadline for food orders at The Harrow is Tuesday 26th October.
Also please download this booking form, fill it in, and attach it to the email that you send to John.
Fittingly for a pilgrimage of day walks, the reunion will also be a day walk. Hold the date of Saturday 30th October 2021. Details will follow when they are ready.
Since the completion of the pilgrimage, Aidan and I have tidied up the web diary so it is worth another look:
All traces of my fingers have been removed from the photos!
Thanks go to Aidan, Danny, Clare, Jim, Veronique, Louise, Fred and Simon for contributing words and pictures.
All are welcome to attend The Diocese of Arundel and Brighton Ecumenical Walking Pilgrimage Annual General Meeting.
If you would like to attend please email me at:
I will then send you the Zoom invitation and instructions for logging on together with a copy of the Agenda, the Minutes from the last AGM and the Treasurer’s Report.
Our main agenda items will be:
Reviewing The Old Way Pilgrimage, St Thomas Pilgrimage August 2022, May Mini Pilgrimage 2022, October Reunion and Service for Deceased Pilgrims , Treasurer’s Report and Election of Officers
I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Sunday via Zoom.
An updated version of the estimated timings for each day’s walk is attached here for you to print off or download to your devices. Do read the notes on the title page. This is version 1.1. If you spot any errors, let us know.
Welcome – we are so pleased that you have chosen to walk with us on this Pilgrimage even though we are unable to stay together in overnight accommodation. We will arrange informal evening meals together where possible.
- Before starting on your first walk with us please take a lateral flow test the night before the walk and then twice a week. These can be obtained free from a pharmacy or search for ‘order a lateral flow testing kit’ and go to www.gov.uk.
- DO NOT WALK with us if you test positive. You will then need to report your test on gov.uk and go for a PCR test at a testing centre.
- Please follow local rules and wear masks and sanitise hands when visiting eg Churches, Pubs, etc and scan the QR Code if possible on your phone.
- CAR SHARING – The Government advice on car sharing is:
- Use a hand sanitiser before and after a journey.
- Wear a face mask.
- Share with the same small group only.
- Keep the car well ventilated – windows open if possible.
- Sit as far away from each other as possible.
- Clean car surfaces after every journey – especially seat belts and internal/external handles.
- REGISTRATION FORM – Please make sure that you have completed the online registration form at thepilgrims.org.uk even if you are only walking for a day or two.
- WHATSAPP – Join our WhatsApp Group if you are able for ease of communication between us. The sign-up details are in my previous post.
- GPX FILES – these will be posted up very shortly on the page for each day and can be downloaded onto a Smart Phone from the Pilgrim website.
- ARROWS – Walk Leaders/Front Markers will use ORANGE ARROWS if over 10 Pilgrims walking. Arrows will be used only when the walk direction changes. Back Markers will collect any arrows used and ensure nobody gets lost.
- TOWER TOUR Day 1 – Southampton to Hamble – You will need £3.25 cash if you wish to take the Tower Tour at the Royal Victoria Chapel Museum.
- HAMBLE FERRY Day 2 – Hamble to Wickham – You will need £2.50 cash.
- SUPPORT CAR – We have a support car carrying water, drinks and first aid. Please supply your own cup/bottle for filling.
- PRAYER STOPS – Each day we will have three or four Prayer Stops and would like to invite Pilgrims to volunteer to take one of these. These are very informal. Prayer and inspiration sheets will be made available to you. Please see Steven if you are interested.
- SNACKS – It is advised that you take snacks each day as some lunch stops are late and some routes do not have any/many shops or cafes. Please refer to the Route Timings.
- LUNCHES – Many of the Pubs would like to know numbers and would ask that you pre-order. If you are coming to meet us at a Lunch stop please WhatsApp to let us know.
- CELEBRATION LUNCH Day 15 – The Queens Head, Icklesham. The Menu will be posted on WhatsApp the week before – let me know your choices.
- DAILY DAIRY – We have an online Daily Diary where Pilgrims can post photographs and comments. This is especially good for those who cannot be with us this year so that they can follow our progress.
- UNABLE TO WALK ON THE DAY – Registered but unable to join us or delayed – Whatsapp us or we will contact you.
- ….And finally don’t forget those all important items ….sun lotion, hats, wet weather gear – but we do hope the sun will shine on us!
Looking forward to seeing you all.